> I've been using Sanyo 2500mAH NiMH  (model HR-3U) for several months in
> a *istD.  Occasionally the battery meter in the camera shows about a
> half-charge with freshly recharged batteries.  I keep reminding myself
> that a set of NiMH batteries yields 4.8V, not 6, and figure that's the
> reason the meter shows only a partial charge.   In any case, they've
> never let me down, and I'm not aware of any other issues related to the
> lower voltage.   I tend to charge just before a job, and again
> afterwards.

        A good share of peoples' bad experiences with NiMH batteries is
due to crappy chargers.  In order to get the most out of the batteries,
you must have a charger that charges each cell individually... not in
pairs or more.  If not charged individually, certain cells will get
progressively weaker as they are not charged fully every time...

        Also, they need to be exercised (through use) occasionally to get
the most out of them.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *