With the Hoya acquisition of Pentax, I'm pondering a fundamental
question - what could Hoya do to make me feel that my future Pentax (or
Ho-Tax) is a true Pentax camera, and what could they do to make me feel
the opposite?

Obviously, there's the lens compatibility issue. Pentax has really
distinguished itself by retaining backwards compatibility with virtually
all K mount lens, even if you lose a few features when using them. (And
even if they produce really bad chromatic aberrations on a digital body.)

Otherwise - what makes Pentax - Pentax? Is it SMC? The devotion to ~40mm
pancake lenses? 'Unusual' sharpening of JPG's in the DSLR? The strange
ergonomics of the Mz-S?

I like Pentax. I've been about as loyal to them as I've ever been to any
brand, simply because I could count on them to do what was right in
their eyes and damn the pressure for conformity. For that, I respected
them. They were the Gary Cooper of the camera world - low key,
conservative, but doing what they chose to do, thank you.

It's a question I ask myself - what makes Pentax unique? And can Hoya
capture that?

- MCC

--
Mark Cassino Photography