I like the IRS approach.  If you make a profit you can call it a business.  Otherwise
it is a hobby.

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, September 14, 2001 8:48 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        That "professional" thing again

Not to re-open the thread, really; more to air my musings
and talk about something other than Current Events.  (I'm
on another mailing list where that's not off-topic, so I've
been getting _that_ out of my system over there, mostly.
Without that other outlet, I'd probably be joining in here.)

We've discussed it to death here and figured out that to
at least some extent the word "professional" means different
things depending on context and speaker.  Okay, I wonder how
AAA defines it...

I spotted a photo contest in a magazine, and noticed in the
rules that "professional photographers" were among those
not eligible.  Ack!  I don't earn a living with my photography,
and I'm a long time between sales/jobs, but I _have_ done
shoots for money and I do try to sell prints.  I wonder
whether I'm considered "pro" in the context of this contest?

(I'll see if there's a phone number or email address to
contact the contest officials.  If not, I guess I'll send
'em a letter.)

                                        -- Glenn