From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Adam
Maas
Sent: 24. desember 2006 21:39
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Doomsday is coming upon us?

Steve Farnham wrote:

>>> Apparently man can't adversely affect the
> environment. Didn't you know
>>> the recent rises in global temperature are all
> natural phenomenon?
>>>

>> There is something to be said for this theory as
> well.
>> Both sides of the debate have political motivations,
>> I don't trust either
>> side to be honest.
>
>> William Robb
>

> Non-scientists have opinions all over the map, and
> many of them are politically motivated.
>
> Climatologists, that is scientists who have spent
> years learning the underlying science and more years
> studying the climate by actually going out and
> measuring things, and in general are not political,
> pretty much agree that mankind has contributed to
> global climactic change and that the change may become
> irreversable in the near future.  What disagreement
> exists amoung climatologists is more to do with timing
> than anything else.
>
> So, people who don't know what they're talking about
> claim that the people who do know what they're talking
> about are mostly wrong.  What does that tell you?
>
> Steve Farnham

Actually, there's a reasonable amount of dispute among the experts as
well. And it's a fairly politically-influenced area of study.

Until someone comes up with a very fine-grained model of the climate
which regresses properly, this will be in dispute. The current models
have distinct issues (Either regression, or cell sizes significantly
larger than certain improtant microclimates like Panama [which has three
seperate climatic regions within an area smaller than the typical cell
size for a computer climate model).

There's a fair bit of data to suggest human influence. There's also a
fair bit which suggests it's minimal. And nobody has a good solar
radiation model (We've only got around 30 years of good data for that,
far too small a sample for good predictions given what we know of solar
output cycles). That issue may take hundreds of years to resolve, as we
know there are certain solar output cycles that are in the several
hundred year range (like the Maunder Minimum).

-Adam