Jostein and Subash,
Of course you are right.
Living standards do not have to follow resource consumption or happy living.
The traditional issues with living standards are life span and infant mortality.
In other words, having enough resources to avoid death and disease.
In my book, this is having a higher/happier standard of living.
Regards,  Bob S.