Some of the ice seems to be melting, some of it seems to be getting
thicker. I have found nothing to confirm that the ice cap averages over
a mile. I do know that it is over a mile think in some places, but that
is hardly an average. Any realistic information I have found about the
ice caps overall melting faster than normal can be translated to "Who
knows?". Remember where the ice caps extended to 10-20 thousand years
ago; whoops, who can remember that far back?

And interesting, but related, aside: We think of forests as resources
and recreational areas. To prehistoric (before metal tools) man they
were a real threat slowly encroaching upon their tiny fields and their
hunting areas driving them into the recently melted glacial tundras
along with the game they depended upon. For many thousands of years
mankind was caught between the retreating glaciers and the advancing
forests. The evil forest of folktale was very real. And that long slow
war may be the cause of the rise of modern man as the dominant species.