I forgot to say this:
Anyone  - even I - can sometimes get one sharp action shot - one way or the
other.
But please show me 5 sharp shots (burst) in a row of a fast moving object
using a D or a K10D.
I have tried to do this with the SAFOX VIII autofocus system. Without any
success.

Regards
Jens Bladt
http://www.jensbladt.dk
+45 56 63 77 11
+45 23 43 85 77No, I doubt that this camera does feature predictive AF - it
doesn't really track or calculate anything AFAIK.  Predictive AF means
calculating where the subject will be at the actual time of release - using
calculations based on the pattern that a moving object describes on the
focus screen. The *ist D does not do such calculations, does it? It's not
exactly F16 weapons technolgy :-)

Even if it did, it wouldn't work well when the object is moving very
directly towards the camera - then there is only VERY little movement to
calculate (the movement caused by the subject changing it's size as it's
getting closer or farther away). All  it does is focus on what ever is close
or has high contrast. It's really just a focus trap -  that is always a
little bit too late.

Secondly I never let the camera choose the AF point. I always use the point
in the middle. So, this can't be the reason for my shots beeing unsharp
either. The only reason I can think of is that it doesn't focus properly on
moving objects, because it's too slow. When ever the red square appears, the
object is allready out of focus again, before the shutter fires.

The K10D and the *ist D does have the same generation AF system, according
to dpreview; the SAFOX VIII.
I have never heard or read anywhere, that this system had predictive
autofocus.

The PZ-1 was said to have this (according the the user manual - which says
about SERVO mode: "The predictive autofocus function is effective in this
mode"). But I seriously doubt that the camera computer actaully did such
focus calculations or really is very predictive.

Even if they have just NAMED the servo mode/continuos mode "predictable
autofucus" - it's still not very fast, is it?

Regards
Jens Bladt
http://www.jensbladt.dk
+45 56 63 77 11