That's not necessarily true.  Most chemical feed stocks from petroleum
are used because they are byproducts of the fuel industry.  If they had
to pay the whole cost of extraction most chemical industries would use
other substitutes.

--
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.
                        --Albert Einstein