Depends on how intelligent the supreme court is, I expect the Patriot
Act to last as long a all wartime measures lasted, which historically
weren't very long at all.  Real freedoms are eroded every day, and the
Patriot act has little or nothing to do with that.  Energy makes
anything possible, without it you're grubbing in the dirt and technology
is magic.  I find it quite interesting that Al Gore, Ariana Huffignton,
and Barbra Streisand, to name just three seem to be in favor of everyone
else conserving resources, but show no signs of doing so themselves.
Private Jets, multiple mansions, etc., etc.  If you don't think the
elites  won't maintain their lifestyles while curtailing everyone
else's, especially if they can convince us it's for our own good, you're
kidding yourself.  Look at what happened in the Soviet Union, as Orwell
said, "some animals are more equal than others".

--
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.
                        --Albert Einstein