On 30/12/06, Paul Stenquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can't imagine why the 645D wouldn't surface. It's in the pipeline,
> and a lot of well-connected people consider it a foregone conclusion.
> Pentax now has more resources than they ever did. This camera will
> make a statement. I know from your past comments that you weren't
> expecting a camera with K10D specs for $900 either. We'll see a 22
> megapixel 645D for $5000. Of course you will then say that because
> it's underpriced, it's the death knoll of Pentax. Your bleak outlook
> grows weary at times.

I was surprised about the price-point of the K10D not the function set
(apart from the ridiculous claims about the benefits of the 22bit
ADC), and I really still don't understand why they priced it as they
did. However the competition obviously aren't too perturbed that
Pentax maybe encroaching on their market (maybe because they aren't),
they seem to be maintaining their higher pricing and still making
sales and obviously far greater profits.

The merger/takeover by Hoya may even see the photographic component of
Pentax sold off as a going concern, we don't know. But I would be
surprised that if, after the likely rationalizations post merger, the
P645D project is continued. In any case just like you I'm entitled to
speculate, only time will tell. And with respect to your comments
about my "bleak outlook" I prefer to consider it practical, being an
engineer I tend to think this way, I don't see through rosy marketing
glasses.

--
Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA