"they" = who? Canon users or marketing? Then you are perfectly righ.

But if "they" includes users of other systems, including medium format ones,
then it becomes annoying. Pentax, opposite to Canon, is present in medium
format market segment. There is no "default" 135 format, which is especially
visible in DLSR market segment (as only Canon produces DSLR cameras in this
format).

B.