That's a typo in the DS manual. The DS model supports P-TTL with A-
series lenses, no problem.

Pre-A series lenses used on the DS, DL, K100, K110 and K10D all do
the same thing: the flash operates in full output, unmetered mode.
You set exposure by using the guide number table in the manual. Only
the *ist D supports TTL flash metering with pre-A lenses, and from
what I understand, it isn't all that accurate.

If you were going to buy anything more sophisticated than the Vivitar
285 or Sunpak 383, buy either the Pentax AF360FGZ or AF540FGZ.
Personally, I haven't yet seen the need ... I use the Sunpak 383 and
get excellent results from it.

Godfrey