I've probably logged 20 flight legs with security-checks over the last
three months. Including in and out of Dulles and National where
sensitivity is higher. Not once has anybody even given the camera gear
a second look. I have been told that if the bag had a video camera, it
needed to be pulled out of the bag (go figure), but  no problems.
BTW, only the occasional most compulsive checker pays any attention to
the liquid restrictions either. As long as it is safely inside that
magical one-quart ziploc bag, they'll ignore 8-12oz containers...

Stan