On Jan 4, 2007, at 5:50 AM, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>       So just to clarify... the -DS manual stating that P-TTL NOT
> working with A (or pre-A?) is a typo?  An external P-TTL flash does
> indeed
> work properly with A lenses or older?

The DS manual has a couple of discrepancies where it suggestes that A
series lenses are not supported by P-TTL.

As simple as I can make it:

With the DS built-in flash
- P-TTL works with A series and all AF lenses.
- flash operates full output, unmetered, with pre-A lenses used in
manual exposure mode (so you can control the aperture).

With the DS and an AF360/540FGZ dedicated external flash
- P-TTL mode works with A series and all AF lenses
- TTL mode works with pre-A series lenses.

The one case I have not checked is to use a pre-A lens in Av mode and
see if that works with P-TTL. It might, because the lens will ALWAYS
be wide open ... the camera can make the exposure evaluation with the
pre-flash before lifting the mirror.

Godfrey