On 08/01/07, Rick Womer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Re wind power: I found these devices very intriguing,
> and did a good deal of reading about them.  The main
> problem is that the wind blows least when the power is
> needed most (a hot, humid summer day), and blows the
> most when power is needed least (a wet 4C November
> morning).  So, power companies have to keep lots of
> capital tied up in fossil-fuel-burning reserve
> capacity, and that's not attractive.

Coastal wind farms tend to be a fairly reliable around here but inland
solar tends to be more viable. The effective storage of these
alternate energies tends to be the problem as you suggest, one
potential option I have read about consisted of giant flywheels, it
would be quite a leap forward if they become a viable reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_energy_storage

--
Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA