Hi Boris,

To answer your question, there are a few reasons, or maybe several
variations on the same reason.  First, a tripod is always more stable than
hand held, and since this shot didn't need quick reflexes, and it was easy
to set up the t'pod, why not go for as high a quality as I could get.  The
other thing I noticed is that, as I've gotten older, I sometimes move
forward and back, usually very imperceptibly - in fact, it's more of a
feeling that I'm moving than actually observing it - and the tripod keeps
the camera in the same plane, or the same precise distance, from the
subject, reducing focusing errors.  Further, the use of the t'pod allows me
to more carefully frame the shot, avoiding slight tilts that sometimes
occur when shooting hand held and giving me the freedom to frame more
accurately.  It also allows better use of  mirror prefire or bracketing.

So, the short answer is, regardless of shutter speed, using a tripod can
help achieve better results.

Shel