On Jan 10, 2007, at 7:14 AM, Thibouille wrote:

> For quite a time I'm considering printing myself my shots but being on
> a budget I couldn't decide what to do. I'm not (for now at least)
> printing much, really.
>
> 1/ I saw what a little Canon Selphy can do and honestly I fell on my
> bottom. Pretty good IMO. Directly from K10D using Pictbridge... very
> nice. Very affordable too.
>
> 2/ I'd like A3 but cost of those printers is ... well high ! Not even
> talking about ink and paper costs.
>
> 3/ The low-end A3 printers are OK for coulour as I understand but not
> that good for B&W. A shame I'd like to print B&W ...
>
> Given these 3 points I may be better to send those to my nearest Lab.
> What would you do?

If you want to print larger sizes in B&W on a budget, I would
recommend buying a used/refurbished Epson 1270/1280 series printer
(available for around US $100 nowadays) and dedicating it to B&W use.
MIS UT-2 inks and the QuadToneRIP software from Roy Harrington will
produce B&W quality on par with the R2400 or other high-end printers.
The reason I bought the R2400 was for consistency and repeatability
when producing a large volume of prints that have to match when
hanging in an exhibition. My 1270 with the above inks and software
produces equal quality for B&W, just not as consistently. I also find
that running the R2400 is a little cheaper than running the 1270/MIS/
QTR setup, but if you're printing a modest amount that savings is
trivial.

For color work in larger sizes, well, I don't see anything to compete
with the higher end printers. For small sizes there are a number that
do awfully well at a modest price.

Godfrey