I just checked the 540FGZ manual from Pentax website.
It does work the same way. And Btw, My Z1 acts like that too in HyP
mode but normal P  will allow A/M modes. Go figure...

If Metz does come with a good compatible (yeah not Sigma I mean) PTTL
shoe I will go Metz way. Period.

> PL> Yeah indeed, my Metz 50MZ-5 works this way too.  In fact, I had never even
> PL> considered that any flash would deliberately limit use of A mode before.

Hoo So I'm not crazy? ;) Seems logical it works like that too.

> PL> Hmm, another thing to consider for my next flash... I assume the 540FGZ
> has
> PL> the same limitation in this regard?

Unfortunately :(

--