On Jan 15, 2007, at 10:15 AM, Mike Hamilton wrote:

>> PEF = 10 GB
>> DNG = 16 GB
>
> Yikes!!!  I'd better get a new hard drive!  And a few more SD cards!

LOL ... of course, Mbytes were meant, not Gbytes.

I set the K10D for capture as RAW/DNG format. I run the DNG files
through Adobe's DNG Converter, which does lossless compression and
renders them to be 10-11 Mbytes apiece on my hard drive, down from
the average of 16.2 Mbytes, with very little variance, on the SD card.

Similar captures with the camera set to RAW/PEF seem to vary a lot
more, but are smaller. I get sizes from 8.5Mbytes to 14.5 Mbytes per
file on the SD card. Using PPL to convert these to DNG, they grow to
21 Mbytes apiece, which DNG Converter will then compress back to
10-11 Mbytes.

Godfrey