My doubt was to whether or not the SR would be of use; ideally it
would damp the erratic component of the motion, while not attempting
to correct for the steady panning.

Some preliminary posts at dpreview (both today and earlier) suggest
that the SR might work in exactly the way that I am hoping for.

I'm looking to get shots more like this:

    http://panix.com/~johnf/temp/PortlandBlur960.jpg

but with even longer streaks, and razor-sharp detail on the car.
Peter Burke (of IndyPhoto.com) could manage that at 1/20 or 1/15.
I can't do much better than 1/45 or 1/30 (my example is at 1/60).

(for reference, that car is travelling at over 120mph, so it
moves more than three feet during the 1/60 second exposure).