On 17/01/07, Mark Cassino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Boros Attila wrote:
> >
> > You should not use FTP for anything but anonymous access to public
> > sites. It sends your username and password in cleartext. Use SFTP, or
> > secure FTP instead. It uses SSH to transfer files, and  unlike
> > standard FTP, it encrypts both commands and data. Do not confuse
> > secure FTP with the Simple File Transfer Protocol, it has the same
> > abbreviation but it is completely different.
> >
> > The functionality of secure FTP is very similar to vanilla FTP with a
> > few additions like creating symlinks and changing file permissions on
> > the remote system.
>
> Thanks Boros - It looks like I need to find a SFTP client, or maybe use
> the built in file manager (have to check if it is safe.)
>
> I'm really ticked by the invasion of my site - whoever it was apparently
> was using Frontpage because some directories not have these _vti
> subdirectories. It looks like I will need to delete the whole site and
> re-upload from my local copy to make sure it is truly right.
>
> Thanks -

I've always used putty and psftp on Windows:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
(but that probably wont suit people who don't like command line tools ;-)

As for guessing passwords, I came across this just the other day which
shows just how easily many passwords can be guessed:
http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0701.html#15

Eric.