On Jan 19, 2007, at 12:53 AM, Brian Dunn wrote:

> Would anyone who has both of these care to comment on whether the
> 21 limited
> is better than the 16-45 at 21?
>
> I have the 16-45 and am wondering if the 21 would be better for
> photographing
> large groups of people.  ( i.e. the mild distortion probably isn't
> an issue,
> but resolution is important )

What do you mean by "better"?

I've not done any direct comparisons ... I sold the 16-45 long before
the DA21 became available ... but I doubt the DA21 has any more
rectilinear distortion than the DA16-45 set to 21mm FL. Neither is
perfect, both are fine for most subjects, neither is really a lens
designed for architecture.

While I'm also very sure that the DA21 has an edge on resolution and
contrast, I'm also certain that the DA16-45 has more flexibility for
photographic large groups of people because it has focal length
flexibility ... both wider and narrower FoV choices can be made,
allowing you to fit the FoV to the group better if vantage points are
limited.

The DA21 is a better 'walk around' lens for me because it is much
smaller and lighter. I like the way it balances better and allows the
camera to remain more unobtrusive too, for candids and street
photography.

Godfrey