From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Mark Cassino
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:46 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: A little *ist D statistics

Jens Bladt wrote:
> Hello All
> Since I am soon to receive my K10D, which will partly replace my *ist D, I
> guess a little statistics is in it's place.

I suspect your math is pretty much on the mark. I just noticed that the
counter on my *ist-D has turned over again, and I have to go back and
check to see if if it's in the 60,000 or 70,000 range. But the bottom
line is - I've shot a lot more with it than I would have with film.

When I made a serious go at shooting full time I would often shoot 25-50
rolls of slide film a week during the 15-20 prime shooting weeks in the
year. That was about all my budget could handle and it simply was not
enough for serious stock shooting (back when there was a viable market
for stock photos.)

With the *ist-D I was freed of that constraint and my good pals at the
local pro photo lab are now just old acquaintances.

But - I was also free to shoot in adverse conditions - for example, I
with film I would usually pack it up on a windy day when trying to shoot
wildflowers. With the *ist-D I'd just plop the camera on a tripod and if
took 200 exposure till I finally got when when the wind paused - well,
it took 200 exposures. I got the shot.

I could also get results at ISO 400 that rivaled what I could get with
ISO 100 slide film - which also meant more keepers.

And then there is that element of experimentation - where you shoot
somehting jsut for the heck of it and after doing that 1,000 time an
interesting shot emerges. Hard to justify (cost wise) with film.

I plan to keep on using the *ist-D - for now at least for snow crystals
and as a backup to the K10D.

- MCC
Mark Cassino Photography
Kalamazoo, Michigan