Sitting back watching the Kiwis obliterate the Poms (cricket, guys) - glass of
red in hand - when a storm came in from the west over the mountains.  Nothing
unusual about that - summer storms are to be expected here but the lightning
was very close.

Took a look out the back window and noticed an orange glow in the back paddock
- said orange glow soon developed into a very serious looking grass fire which
was being whipped along by strong winds.  I was understandably nervous at this
stage as the flames were reaching about 20 feet into the air and we have about
100 or so eucalypts between the house and the paddock.

Fortunately, the storm started to produce some rain, gentle at first but a
heavy downpour doused the flames after half an hour or so.  I felt a bit of a
dill talking to the fire brigade officers under an umbrella...

I've never experienced lightning-induced fire before - not keen to experience
it again.

I'm going to lie down now....

Cheers

Brian