1998 was a long time ago with the current rate of change going on, Bob.

Other photos show that the once-considered "permanent" ice pack at
the peak is very nearly gone in the past four years. There is some
seasonal variation but the trends all point in one direction.

Deforestation in conjunction with a warming climate are the causes of
these trends.