From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Godfrey DiGiorgi
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:07 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT- eBay

On Jan 23, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Perry Pellechia wrote:

> I agree 100%.  I just bought a Optech strap from an eBay dealer and he

> "thanked" me for the sale and wrote "you can anticipate us leaving
> positive feedback for you ... when you have posted positive feedback
> for us."
>
> This is BS.  I bought the item via buy-it-now and paid immediately. He

> should be leaving positive feedback for me at that moment.  I have
> lived up to my part of the deal and feedback should not be considered
> part of the payment.
>
> Needless to say I am not going to be making any repeat business with
> this dealer nor will I be leaving any feedback.

I agree with you. I refuse to leave feedback for anyone who implies a
threat like that, unless it's negative feedback, and I usually report
such nonsense to the Ebay staff.

As a seller, I post feedback on the buyer when I have received
payment and shipped the product to them via a tracked service. That's
when my part of the transaction is complete.

As a buyer, I leave feedback when the transaction is completed ...
when I have received all the merchandise I paid for and verified its
condition. Earlier than that would not reflect an evaluation of the
transaction, that's when the transaction is complete.

Case in point:

My old LD player died for the third time and I could not justify
sending it out for a $240 repair again. Meanwhile, I still have a
huge number of LDs that I like, many of which are not available on
DVD yet (nor do I really want to buy them again). So I hunted around
and found that I could get a serviceable if not quite the same
quality Pioneer CL D2400 for about $35 from a vendor on Ebay. Not a
great player but good enough for my purposes. I used the BIN, paid
immediately, and waited for the package to arrive. The seller and
shipped the package on time, left positive feedback as I had
fulfilled my part of the transaction. The player arrived on schedule,
but the remote listed in the auction was not in the box. I sent a
note asking whether there'd been some mistake, as the auction clearly
listed the remote as included. The seller responded within a day,
their mistake, and they would send on the remote separately. It
arrived in four days, I tested it with the player and everything
worked well, the seller had completed their part of the transaction
properly. I left feedback that the transaction was positive with good
communications and item as described.

That's how it should work.

Only a jerk would consider the feedback to be part of the transaction
on the part of the buyer and the obligation of the buyer to post
first. I would never knowingly buy anything from a jerk.