----- Original Message -----
From: "J and K Messervy" Subject: Asked to do a wedding.

>I have been asked whether I'd be interested in photographing the wedding of
> the brother of an acquaintance.
>
> Any and all tips, tricks and advice would be greatly appreciated!

>From an email I sent to an aquaintance who is breaking into the game......

Wedding photography is as stressful as you care to make it.
I tend to make it pretty stressful myself.

Some things I discovered that helped alleviate this:

They have a pretty even chance of being divorced within a few years, so
the photography is about as disposable as a used car.
You may as well charge like a Rolls Royce, the pictures won't be around
long enough to prove they are a Chevette.

The brides mother is going to hate the pictures no matter what. She
already hates the asshole that her daughter chose to fall in love with,
and will transfer this loathing onto the pictures.
Don't worry about it, it's not a battle that can be won.
Don't fight it.
Take the opportunity to turn daughter against mother, instead.

If you have to, point out that this is the father of her grandchild.

Remember what the truly important pictures are, and get them.
Pictures of the bride and groom together are not necessarily the most
important in the long haul.

Generally, it is the family portraits. Make sure you get family
portraits of just the grooms family, and just the brides family.
Weddings are about families.

Hedge your bets and go with blood, not law or religion.

William Robb