Nicholas Wright asks about Piezography:

> First question, what exactly is
> "Piezography?" Second question, has anyone tried these conversion kits? How
> well does it work? What do the prints look like? I am not asking for a
> comparison between a Piezography print and a trad darkroom print. Is there a
> better way to digitally print B&W at home?

I've had an Epson 1160 with the PiezographyBW system for almost a year
now. I got it after I tried it with my own pictures at a conference in
the summer of 2000.

The prints are better than any other digital B&W print I've seen. The
range of greys is arguably better than a wet print (this according to
the people who developed the system, so take with a grain of salt). My
experience, after only a couple of years of wet darkroom experience,
is that Piezography gives me prints of a quality that would be very
hard if not impossible for me to get in the darkroom.

What makes the system expensive is the software, which is great, very
easy to use. Once you have that, the prints themselves are probably
cheaper than regular Epson color prints.

Also, the people of Cone Editions (the company that developed and
markets Piezography) are extremely friendly and helpful. They'll
answer email immediatly, and stand behind their product. There's a
Yahoo group called "piezography3000" where the Cone people are very
active, you can ask specific questions there.