On 26/01/07, graywolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ??? How can they have lower internal resistance and longer shelf life?
> That seems contradictory to me.

The shelf life/self discharge is likely lower due to improved
construction and materials. The cells internal resistance is a
function of how their chemistry interacts with the electrodes,
maximizing the capacity can reduce increase the internal resistance.
Classic case in point, Supercaps, they offer capacitance in whole
Farads and are marketed as permanent power options for memory back-up.
The are essentially a little battery but they utilize classic
electrolytic capacior chemistry however due to their extremely dense
charge/volume they have exceedingly high internal resistance. (mind
recent developments have lowered IR  of certain types of these
devices)

> Is the difference in self-discharge for the Eneloops over standard NiMH
> as much as they claim? I have been wondering about that for awhile, I
> have several NiMH setting around doing nothing simply because when I
> want to use something they are 3/4 dead from self-discharge. I am
> currently using lithium drycells in almost everything that takes AA's
> for that reason.

They are very good, they come pre-charged ready for use and they are
quoted as having a self discharge rate of 15% in a year vs 1% per day
or worse for regular Ni-MH cells.

http://www.eneloop.ca/eneloop_en.pdf
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=149804

--