I will accept your comments, I am 20 years out of the business, and you
certainly know more about current practice than I. However you still
have to demand the PDF's, correct? My experience was that editors
volunteered nothing, and I don't think that has changed much.

And, I was a lower echelon pro, as will be anyone trying trying to break
into the business. You do not start out with the world beating on your
door A few wind up with that happening. Very few, I believe.

My knowledge of how the big guys work came from popping into their
studio and shooting the shit, something they were surprisingly willing
to do as long as they were not in the middle of a shoot. I did not start
out with connections in the business like you (how long did you say you
were in advertising?), so I do know how hard it is to break in as a
nobody. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately , I had a couple of other
decent paying trades and was not willing to go hungry long enough to
make it above the LE level.

I do suggest a couple of courses on business management and basic
accounting for anyone wanting to be self-employed. They have stood me in
good stead in my old age; my therapist is amazed that I can manage my
limited income so well, most of her clients can not.