Amita wrote:

Nate and I are planning our next trip, to Iceland. We will probably go
in August. I've been reading and I know there are endless photographic
opportunities there, but I was wondering if you guys know about
anything in particular that I shouldn't miss. We are tentatively
planning to do the southern coast and Lake Myvatn region, though I'm
not sure if Lake Myvatn will work out.

REPLY:

I've lived in Iceland for two years. The southern part is a good choice;
particularly the area from Vatnajøkull to the Snefellsnes peninsula. Myvatn
is great for photographing ducks. I guess you are going to hire a car. The
main road is very good except for a part in the nordeast where it is only
dirt road. Minor roads may just be tracks and you might need four wheel
drive. Some rivers don't have bridges so you have to drive through them.
The Rekjanes peninsula near the airport at Keflavik is quite scenic and
theres a seabird colony near Krisuvik worth visiting. The area around
Myrdalsjøkul is very scenic with some spectacular waterfalls. At Vik, the
southernmost part of Iceland have some scenic locations and a puffin colony.
Otherwise there are those obvious destinations like Geysir and Gullfoss
waterfall. If you are interested in shooting puffins the Latrabjarg
birdcliff is hard to beat. This is the westernmost part of Iceland and it is
hard to reach. The roads are awful but you can drive to the birdcliff. The
puffins there are basically tame.
If you go by car remember to stock up with gas before driving into the
wilderness. There are less than 300 000 people in Iceland, a country the
size of Ireland. Half of them live in Reykjavik.  The weather is basically
awful with wind and rain. However, if it is bad  in the southern part of the
island it probably much better in the north and vice versa.

Pål