The answers to your questions are, well no. But then I've never shot in a
studio, or desired to, and the kind of photography you're talking about is
something I've never tried to make a forte.

To say however that every photo must be technically and asthetically
saleable for the photographer to be deemed competent, I think is an
exaggeration.

I feel safe in saying that all photographers that make their living from it,
have done assignments where they were met with a new set of variables and
conditions that they had not encountered before and they learned from past
and present mistakes.

I don't claim to be a great photographer, but I get results that are
pleasing a sufficent percentage of the time, that I don't place the camera
behind my rear tire and back over it. :-)  I don't expect to get great
results all the time.  If I was that meticulous, I would either not have
time for photography, or possibly come to despise it as being simply a job.
I see plenty of published (Nat'l Geographic for instance) shots that I
personally think are horrendous.  Those photographers are no doubt
competent, possibly have a different sense of asthetics, or the photography
is being used for the purpose of supplementing the story and does not really
stand on it's own.

I'm probably taking issue with a single word you used. Incompetent. A person
that takes a poor photo may be ignorant, indigent, impotent, or incontinent,
but it doesn't mean they are worthy of being labeled incompetent.

Tom C.