I don't know what kind of batteries you're using.  I'd use the lithium AA's
or the CR-V3's.  To be safe, go buy new ones, don't use any from the same
pack you have at home, if that's the case.

The manual recommends using alkalines only in emergencies when nothing else
is available, though I have done so often.  However, as I recall, when I was
experiencing the problems, it was with alkalines.

Tom C.