On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Tri-X, Agfapan 400, Kodak 2475 Recording Film, Ilford HP-5 and HP-5+,
> Neopan 1600, Delta 3200, Bergger 200, etc.  And then there are
> numerous developers and developing techniques that can contribute to
> grain.

Well, to be fair to them the nice thing about an add-on grain filter is
that you can use the grainy effect even with a slow-speed film, if that's
the effect you're looking for.  I think it's a stupid idea for another
reason... if it's meant to fit just in front of the film plane, it sounds
like you'd have to open the back to change it.  This means that, unless
you want to shoot a whole roll with the grainy effect on, you'd need a
dark room or a changing bag handy... and even then you'd lose a few frames
if you had an auto-loading camera that automatically shoots a few frames
when you close the back.

I will admit that the painting-type effect that you can preview through
the lens sounds interesting, but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing ever
came of it.  Marketing stuff like that for digital cameras seems dumb,
since it's so easy to do that (with much more control) in Photoshop
later.  Marketing those effects for film makes a bit more sense, but then
the focal lengths of your lenses shorten, and there's probably some
optical difficulties to overcome.  I wish them luck, as new products can
be fun, but I'm not holding my breath.

chris