I use a gadget similar to the Novoflex forked joint on a tripod.
See here http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm i mount it
a rotating plate.  The nice thing about this approach is that you
do'nt need a tripod collar on the lens and you simply lift the lens
off to shoot handheld.

Mine is actually home-brew my dad machined it for me and covert it in
rubber tubing so that the metal does not scratch the lens barrel and
at the same time absorbs small vibrations.

The fork is on a rotating base similar to panaorama plate.

Mine is similar to this
http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm but without the
spirit level. I had found it at a car boot sale attached to a sorry
looking tripod. I got both for approximately 10 USD.  The tripod i
dumped it was useless but the plate came back to life after a little
bit of TLC.

Its a simple setup that works well and its better than a monopod
because the camera is not attached to it.

I guess a gimbal mount would be the ideal thing but I can't afford one.

Rgds
Patrick

Regards

Patrick Genovese