I had one of the FA28-105/3.2-4.5s that I used extensively with the
*ist DS in 2005. I didn't have issues with focusing (it was neither
better or worse than average for AF lenses on the *ist DS) and found
it to be a very good performer most of the time. It is not at its
best wide open, and particularly wide open at focal length settings
above 70mm. Stopped down to my usual range around f/5.6-f/8, it did
very well. Manual focusing is quick and positive. The Pentax supplied
lens hood is overly large and inefficient for the DSLR format ... I
replaced it with a Kalt generic metal screw-in "normal" lens hood
that is a lot more compact and doesn't get in the way so much of the
time.

Here are some examples I posed to my Picture A Week sets in 2005 and
2006.

http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/14.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/14p.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/15.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/16.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/17.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/18.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/23.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/25.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/28.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/30.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW5/39p.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW6/25.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW6/36.htm

I sold the lens either late in 2005 or in Spring of 2006 as I found
I'd moved on to other lenses (better quality primes) as my mainstay
by then.

Godfrey