On Feb 6, 2007, at 8:00 AM, David Weiss wrote:

> Do you find yourself using PS CS2 much since the advent of
> Lightroom in
> your workflow?

I find I'm doing the vast majority of my rendering work exclusively
in Lightroom now, probably in excess of 90%. What Lightroom does not
offer is layers, the ability to select and edit/sharpen an image file
locally, and the depth/sophistication of scripted automation that
Photoshop offers. When I need those things, I tell it to switch
editing to Photoshop, do the required work. The operations happen on
a rendered TIFF file ... I "Save As Copy" that file with all my
layers intact to a .PSD master, then flatten layers and switch back
to Lightroom for finishing to print.

Lightroom v1.0 release will handle PSD layered files directly, i
believe, and also supports the notion of "stacks" ... which means
that having multiple copies of the same file in the environment will
be much less confusing. Just stack all the versions of a given image
into a stack and put the one you want to see on top.

> I know what you are saying makes sense, it just was never important to
> me as I was only viewing images on the computer monitor.  Now that
> I am
> starting to print, and with the purchase of the k10d, I am re-
> evaluating
> my need for PS CS2.  I was thinking that perhaps Lightroom would be
> enough, but maybe I need to purchase PS CS2 also.  I suppose in this
> case it makes sense to go with the flow and do as others do.

Whether you need Photoshop or not depends entirely on how much higher-
level editing you do. I suspect that for a lot of people, Lightroom
will deliver a 1-stop image processing system. You can also used
other higher level image editing applications in conjunction with it.

Godfrey