My testing with Ds and 540FGZ flash just to check how it must work, Ds
do not have trailing curtain sync with internal flash but support this
mode with external.
Flash set to trailing curtain mode, Ds in manual mode with shutter set
to 1.6 sec., 2 sec. mirror lock-up to clearly evaluate P-TTL preflash.
Lenses A50/1.7 with aperture ring in A, DA18-55, FA80-320 with
aperture ring in A.
P-TTL: preflash, discharge at trailing curtain.
A (metering with flash own sensor): discharge at leading curtain.(as
expected, flash manual clearly said that trailing curtain mode is not
compatible with flash A-metering mode).
M on flash: preflash (why???), discharge at trailing curtain.
---
Lenses FA80-320 with aperture ring NOT in A, M42 with M42-K adapter.
TTL (K10D do not have this mode): discharge at trailing curtain.
A: discharge at leading curtain.
M on flash: discharge at trailing curtain (without a preflash).

Old lenses (K/M/aperture ring not in A) is not really compatible with
K10D/Ds internal flash at all:
The built-in flash fully discharges for lenses without a function to
set aperture lens ring to A (Auto).

And, of course, new fw is 1.10 not 1.01, my typo.