On Feb 9, 2007, at 1:51 AM, Thibouille wrote:

> ... I don't think it is should be considered normal to get free
> upgrades
> on product. I think that, for the price of a software like PS, you
> should at least be sure that if Vista or any other OS comes out,
> you'll get any sort of update letting you use your PS on the new OS.
> I ask for nothing else.

It's quite a tall order, nonetheless.

I know nothing of how Microsoft does their OS development testing,
but I know that at Apple we always tested a huge list of existing
applications extensively in development with new OS revisions to
ensure the greatest amount of upward compatibility possible. There
are occasions, however, where the OS development team has to make a
decision as to whether to patch around an application's particular
use of OS services (whether in error or because the OS service
behavior had to change for one reason or another) or simply let the
application break and tell the vendor to update it. Things that were
allowed to break were never taken lightly.

Then it's up to the vendor to take on the burden of fixing their
problem and putting out an update. MOST of the time, such updates are
small things and the vendor absorbs the cost, provides a free
incremental update (like PS CS2 going from v9.0 to v9.0.2) but
sometimes, if the amount of work required is substantial, they have
no choice but to incorporate the fix into a paid update (like going
from PS CS2 to PS CS3) and places a backwards compatibility limit on
that version of the application to OS versioning.

There are also questions of implementation dependence ...  For
instance, Lightroom v4.1 beta and v1.0 release is dependent upon some
OS services that were first released on Mac OS X in v10.4.2. So you
cannot install it on Mac OS X v10.3.9 ... and it is neither Apple's
responsibility nor Adobe's responsibility to compensate you for an
update as the software didn't exist in the v10.3.9 lifespan.

It's up to you to decide whether the application is worth the expense
of updating your system as well as purchase the software package. If
you choose not to, and decide to use other software even if this
package is better suited to your needs, that's your option. I see no
reason to complain about it, or make defamatory remarks about Adobe's
pricing.

Adobe's products are some of the best supported in the industry, on
either OS platform. I have never felt like I was paying too much
given the level of excellent support I get whenever I have a
question. They're not cheap but they're worth it to me.

Godfrey