I don't see how that's Microsoft's fault. If the application writers
tie their code into a specific version of the operating system in that
way so that it's not reasonably future-proof, how can that be MS's
fault? Where I work we have hundreds, if not thousands, of millions of
pounds invested in software and there are very specific instructions
to our software developers to write code that has a reasonable chance
of surviving operating system & suchlike upgrades. If they don't we
don't run around blaming Microsoft or Oracle or IBM, we slap the
application writers.

--
 Bob