On Feb 9, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:

> Bob Shell wrote:
>
>> On Feb 8, 2007, at 6:57 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>>
>>> With the volumes of film processing dropping into the sewer,
>>> according to everyone in the photofinishing business this past year,
>>> I think the cash cow's milk has become sour.
>>
>> Film hasn't been a cash cow for years.   More like a cash goat, and
>> maybe a pygmy goat at that.
>> Time to sell and move on.  Companies that live in the past end up in
>> the dust.....
>
> Yeah, there might be enough profit in film for it to be worthwhile
> to a
> small, niche company, but even Kodak hasn't downsized itself that far.
> Time to sell it off while they can still get some money for it.
>
> Last summer a friend of mine who's a research chemist at Kodak was
> reminiscing about the golden era of film: "Man, it was like having a
> license to print money! It cost us less to make the film than for the
> box and packaging we put it in."
>
> I don't know if his comment about the cost of the packaging was
> intended to be taken literally, but he was clearly wistful about the
> "good old days" :)

I worked in the photofinishing business for two and a half years in
the early 1980s. If you were efficient about things, it *was*
printing money. Overall markup over expenses at that time amounted to
something like 80% gross profit for regular D&P work. That's why it
was so easy to give away a roll of film with D&P.

Then the little minilab machines came out and the whole game started
to fall apart.

Godfrey