Bruce Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any opportunity to
compare
> the FA 24-90 to the A 35-105 for general imaging quality.  I
am
> considering getting the FA 24-90 to replace the A 35-105 for
some of
> my wedding work.  The usage would be basically a direct
replacement -
> there is a slight advantage on the wide side of the FA 24-90
lens -
> would cause me a few less lens swaps as well.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Bruce!

My main lens on the D is usually the Tamron 28-75/2.8 but it was
suffering from slow aperture so I had to send it in for service.
I luckily own several lenses in that range to replace it; a week
ago I shrinked the choice and did a quick test to compare
exactly the 24-90 and the 35-105. The 35-105 is lovely for many
reasons but I think the 24-90 is a more practical lens in the
field.
I had used the 24-90 several times last year when I didn't want
to bring the 28-75 with me (a bit less weight, less bulk and a
just a little wider field of view sometimes are useful...) while
the 35-105 is a bit too heavy for my habits, so it sits a lot at
home.
The picture quality of the 24-90 is really good, sometimes it is
maybe too contrasty but not that much. A few times I have
problems trying to figure out whether it is focusing where I
want it to (at 24mm), so I double check and many times I zoom
in, focus and then zoom back out (something I rarely do with the
Tamron).
The sharpness is comparable among the two, sometimes I find one
is slightly better than the other but then I discover that I
focused on the wrong place with one of them... The colour
rendition is definitely better, more accurate with the 24-90.
Things I don't like about it are the flare and internal
reflections, worse than any other SMC lens (but only when the
sun is really in the wrong place...) and the zoom creep (on mine
it is definitely impossible to keep the lens on 24 when the lens
is facing down and viceversa - mind that I bought it used).
I can send you a few examples (100% crops too) of pictures I
recently took with the 24-90 if you want, and if needed I can do
a more accurate comparison and send you the original files.

Ciao,

Gianfranco

_