Dario Bonazza wrote:

>>>Aussie? I'm missing that for sure! What car is coming is any shape from
>>>downunder?
>>
>>Pontiac GTO, the new Camaro, at least 1 other. Bunch of stuff coming to
>>GM from Holden because the US design teams flubbed their RWD platform.
>>Holden is the new Opel for GM.
>

> So 3 models? Possibly 4-5 and parts? Can that place Australia among the top
> 3 car-manufacturing countries? I don't want to offend Australian friends
> here, but when I think of cars I think Germany, Japan, USA, France, Italy,
> Korea... sometimes even UK, Sweden and India. Australia didn't come to mind
> (it will happen next). Sure that must be since I've never seen an Aussie car
> live,
> while I know that some old Italian rust has shown up on the other side of
> the globe.

GM's new rear drive platform is from Holden. That's currently 3 models (1
discontinued) from the US nameplates but will be expanded across GM's entire
group of brands (except GMC, they only do trucks). So you're going to be seeing
Holden-derived cars everywhere over the next few years. French and Italian cars
(aside from the boutique supercar makers) are essentially Europe-only (Along
with the middle east and africa, but those are small markets), a very
restricted market, British and Swedish cars seriously outnumber French and
Italian cars over here. Korea's gotten a lot more important though, just by
replacing Japan as the budget choice. I don't consider them a major player yet,
but they will be soon.

>>>And the Fiat Group (Fiat+Alfa+Lancia+Maserati+Ferrari) saw something
>>>around
>>>+26% growth last year, so maybe the worst is behind them.
>>>
>>>Dario
>>
>>Maybe I'll even see one on the road. We only get Ferrari's and the
>>occasional Maserati over here, at least for anything built in the last
>>20 years (I do see older Alfa's on occasion. All the Fiat's rusted out
>>10 years ago).
>

> Fiat has promised to land on US market again in the near future, shipping
> some Alfa Romeos just to start.
> The Alfa 159 and the Brera could probably be the first models you'll see
> over there.
> Please choose Alfa 159 and/or Brera in the search field of the following
> website.
> http://www.alfaromeo.com
>
> Ciao,
>
> Dario

Alfa makes some nice cars (the 159 is rather nice looking, and well-spec'd).
But I don't expect success for them over here in North America. FIAT's got a
real bad name over here from the last try and there's too much competition in
the segment that they'd be competing in (compact sedans).

-Adam