I agree on it needing to be removable.  The problem I have encountered
from time to time with longer lenses without a tripod mount is that
the times that I choose to use a tripod becomes much clumsier due to
the heavier lens with only the support at the base of the camera.  It
is much harder for the lens to settle down.  My K 200/2.5 is heavy
enough that using it on a tripod is problematic.  I wish it had a
removable mount.

--
Best regards,
Bruce