Hello Mike,

There are two different issues here.  One is your photoshop technique
and the other is the portrait in general.  It would be very helpful to
see the original (normal) way you would process this for us to be able
to compare.  For what I see here, it has a slightly strange feel for
me - almost like the background is oddly softened rather than a more
natural OOF effect a lens would produce.  But I would like to compare
it before saying that for sure.  Care to show us a normal rendering?

As for the pose and composition, I rather like it.

--
Best regards,
Bruce