On Feb 13, 2007, at 8:09 AM, John Whittingham wrote:

>> The key to getting a good white balance is to find and sample a
>> light  gray area, not a white area...
>
> I've tried that at first but it never seemed right, maybe I need to
> re-
> install. BTW which version of ACR are you using?

Right now I'm using Camera Raw v3.6. But the technique isn't limited
to Camera Raw ... I use the same in Lightroom and in Photoshop on RGB
images using a Layers Adjustment Layer with the sampler tools. For
the latter, I set up samplers on target areas with a 5x5 sampling,
then use the grayscale eyedropper after the white point and black
point droppers.

I doubt you have to re-install anything, though. Finding the *right*
gray spot to sample is the trick. ;-)