Hmmm..5 minutes to fix seems rather optomistic.  I suppose if your
only goal is unique filenames, that may be feasible.  At least from my
perspective, I want the original raw name and subsequent alterations
to carry the same name.  So when I think of all the images that have
been archived off to DVD's and perhaps needing to rename all of them,
the task seems much longer than 5 minutes.  The other issue is coming
up with a naming convention that aids in organization.  IMGPxxxxx
doesn't really help much.

By taking the time during download to put some meaningful names to the
files alleviates the problem for later and also gives you a leg up on
organization.

Of course, I have no idea what your shooting/organizing is like so I
could blowing smoke.  At least for me - shooting weddings, portraits,
kid's sports, etc - organization is very important.

--
Bruce