I don't know about the USB drive issue ... my external drives are
connected with FireWire and Lightroom can import a folder of data
from them without any problems. I imported the two 70Gbyte
directories of photos -- 2003 and 2002 -- from my archive drive,
handled it without a hitch.

Regards why it has to import rather than just open and work on a
file ... It's a database system so it has to collect information
about each of the files you want it to deal with.

Regards why it has no "save as" function ... Again, it's a database
and supposed to be the environment in which you work. Edits are all
non-destructive ... you can go back to the original image file sans
edits at any time. When you want to solidify a particular rendering
into a final product, you "export" it with all edits applied. If you
want to edit something with Photoshop CS2 and keep it in the library,
you export it to PSCS2 with the edits you've done in LR intact, do
your editing, then return to Lightroom for printing and other
operations. It's a different workflow model compared to what you're
used to.

You should look up some of the tutorial videos if you care enough to
learn and understand it. If you're happy with what your doing and
don't think it has any value for you, so it goes ... it was free,
right? Others can download the 30 free trial and have the same
capability.

Adobe has useful tutorial videos:
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Photoshop User has useful tutorial videos:
http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom/index.html

I like Michael Tapes videos:
http://pictureflow.fileburst.com/_Tutorials/Photoshop_LR/01/index.html

My paid for copy hasn't arrived yet so I'm working with the free
trial until it gets here next week. So far, I've rendered 7 sets of
photos since I installed it yesterday ... so I'm pretty happy with it.

Godfrey