Cotty wrote:
> On 21/2/07, Adam Maas, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>> They just announced the 1D mk III. It's got a few interesting bits.
>>
>> Live view. Yep, you can have the mirror flipped up and frame with the
>> new 3" LCD (with 5x and 10x magnification), no delays for shooting
>> either (unlike the Oly and Panasonic in Mode B Live View). It will also
>> do live view via its wifi transmitter, so remote cameras can be
>> controlled wirelessly by a laptop.
>>
>> 14 bit colour in RAW mode. I expect this will quickly become the new
>> standard over 12 bit RAW's.
>>
>> The wireless transmitter can also be hooked up to USB harddrives for
>> extra storage. Yes, now you can shoot directly to your P2000, no cards
>> involved, just a long enough USB cable.
>>
>> They also updated the 16-35L (Hopefully it's now sharp across the entire
>> frame) and the 580EX flash (Gets PC Sync and an Auto-Thyristor mode to
>> make it almost as capable as the Nikon SB-800 and Pentax AF540FGZ).
>>
>> Who's next?
>
> I would be more interested in the K1D, if it were about to be announced.
> The 1DmIII sounds nice, but to be honest, I wouldn't give up my Mark II
> for that. Live preview? I like optical viewfinders. The 100% finder
> would interest me. For working sports pros, the camera is a must. But not me.

I agree, the live preview interests me for macro work (the 10x zoom for
focusing will be rather useful) and the ability to shoot directly to my
iPod is rather useful too. But most of the big stuff will be for the
sports pros. I'm hoping the USB mass storage and live view make their
way down to the 30D and 5D replacements

> <http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?
> act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14999>
>
> I am much more interested in a 24X36 sensor. Folks here have said that
> is no longer the Holy Grail, and I can understand that. Doesn't stop me
> from preferring 24X36 though ;-)

It's coming. Expect a 5fps 22MP full-frame version in the fall as the
1DsmkIII. I'd actually be happy with the 1.3x crop as long as the 16-35L
  II delivers the goods.

> BTW, just got a couple of new Pentax cameras! An A10 for my son and an
> S6 for the Mrs.

Cool.

-Adam