James wrote:

> I would be interested in any views on Photography Correspondence courses.
> Stratford Career Institute have sent me details of their 18-month($595CDN)
> course. So, as I have a limited budget, this seems a reasonable price and
> our local University College charges that per sumester.

Photography courses tend to be what you make them. You can go to a non-name
school and work your ass off and pepper your teachers with questions and go
the extra mile, and you can also go to a big name school and cruise through
with your thumb up your a** and not bother anyone with anything so mundane
as the expectation that you'll learn anything.

It's up to you. Take the courses you can afford and work twice as hard as
anybody else. Your teachers will take you more seriously than anyone else,
you'll uncover questions you might never have thought of if you hadn't been
working so hard, and you'll come out a winner. Make demands of your own
education. Follow your own star. It's your life--the school and the teachers
and everything around them are only there to facilitate what YOU want to do.

--Mike (former photography teacher, for middle school, high school, and
college students, and adult night courses)

P.S. Don't get me started. <s>